A highly professional, diverse, and stable faculty and staff lies at the heart of MSR’s success.
Teachers engage, inspire, and challenge young learners in multi-age classes that foster warm, lasting relationships—a hallmark for the school’s experience for faculty, students and parents alike.
Strong hiring, fine facilities and materials, sound fiscal management, strong compensation and benefits, and a grounded educational philosophy driven by a clear educational and institutional mission are the bedrock of our strength.
MSR’s beautifully designed and well maintained Lead Mine Campus, situated on 10 acres in North Raleigh, comprises four buildings in a child-centered, village like setting surrounded by wetlands and protected forest. Our Middle and Upper Schools are housed on an expansive 40-acre wooded campus in rural Durham County. Both sites were carefully planned and constructed to provide the nature-centered, homelike environments integral to Montessori practice.
Department: Buildings & Grounds
Reports to: Director of Buildings & Grounds/ Director of Business Operations
Purpose of the Job
Maintenance Assistant perform a wide variety of maintenance, repair, grounds keeping and other interior and exterior maintenance duties for the school under the supervision of the Director of Buildings and Grounds.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
• Show respect for School Community (i.e. administrators, faculty, staff, parents and students) at all times, providing excellent service with a positive attitude
• Perform routine interior and exterior maintenance duties as scheduled & requested; may include painting, snow/ice removal, gutter cleaning, replacing filters, working with ongoing program needs, etc.
• Perform routine maintenance and repair on School Community equipment to include: plumbing, light bulb replacement, A/C maintenance, electrical, carpentry and mechanical repair
• Respond to all repair requests and maintenance concerns from administrators, teachers and staff
• Report equipment malfunctions or breakdowns as well as any hazardous conditions to the Director of Buildings & Grounds in a timely manner
• Ensure that all maintenance items are kept in a safe area
• Attend in-service training and education sessions, as assigned
• Work with vendors as instructed, including vendors for landscaping, painting asphalt, etc.
• Must follow all safety/OSHA Requirements
• May support various renovation activities
• Additional duties as assigned
• Organization Skills-Can marshal resources (people, funding, material, support) to get things done; can orchestrate multiple activities at once to accomplish a goal; uses resources effectively and efficiently arranges information and files in a useful manner
• Action Oriented- Is action oriented and full of energy for the things he/she sees as challenging; appropriately responsive to unscheduled repair needs that may arise
• School Community Focus- Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external School Community; gets first-hand School Community information and uses it for improvements in products and services; acts with School Community in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with School Community and gains their trust and respect.
• Perseverance-Pursues everything with energy, drive, and a need to finish; seldom gives up before finishing, especially in the face of setbacks or interruptions.
• Functional/Technical Skills- Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment.
• Problem Solving- Uses rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions; probes all fruitful sources for answers; can see hidden problems; is excellent at honest analysis; looks beyond the obvious and doesn’t stop at the first answers.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Must understand and have ability to repair, plumbing, electrical, basic carpentry and mechanical systems
• Must be available to work days and evenings, weekdays, and weekends
• Must demonstrate ability to provide exceptional School Community service
• Must demonstrate ability to successfully work on a team
• Must be able to clearly communicate both orally and in writing
• Must have a valid Driver license
• Must be able to lift 50 lbs
Education and Background:
• Must be a minimum 18 years of age
• High School degree or equivalent
• 1-3 years previous maintenance experience desired preferably in a similar facility
Please send a cover letter and your resume to Ms. Lind at firstname.lastname@example.org.
MSR is always looking to add flexible substitute teachers to our on-call list which we use as needed to provide coverage when full-time teachers need to be out. We are seeking reliable and hard working adults to support our students in Toddler (18 months) through 12th grade. We are looking for caring and energetic people who can work in both a co-lead environment (academic classrooms) or on their own (Interdisciplinary) to maintain a safe learning environment, provide support to students, implement lesson plans, collaborate and communicate with students and teachers and staff, to ensure a consistent experience for our students. The ideal candidate must be professional and have a passion for working with children and be willing to learn and support the Montessori method. Please send a cover letter and your resume to Ms. Lind at email@example.com.
MSR welcomes employment inquiries at any time during the year. In general, most interviewing and hiring for faculty positions occurs in the winter/spring; however, we will accept resumes throughout the year. If you are interested in joining our team, we encourage you to apply today.
It is the policy of The Montessori School of Raleigh to make employment decisions on the basis of qualifications for a specific job without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, national or ethnic origin, age, veteran status, or the presence of a disability, except where such is a bona fide occupational qualification.